TRON RTOS API comes on top among the embedded OSs for the IoT devices.
TRON Forum has published the “FY2016 Survey Report on Embedded Real-time OS Usage Trends” to its members, and plans to sell it to corporations from the middle of April.
TRON Forum (Location: Shinagawa, Tokyo, Chair: Ken Sakamura, Dean of INIAD (Information Networking for Innovation and Design), Toyo University) is a proponent of TRON Project, and aims to establish the Open IoT environment that is free of restrictions imposed by organizations or applications by using open source, open data and Open API. It has compiled “FY2016 Survey Report on Embedded Real-time OS Usage Trends.” The result shows that approximately 60 percent of the share is held by T-Kernel specification API (including μT-Kernel specification API) and ITRON specification API for "the API of embedded OS in use." The result shows that TRON RTOS family has occupied the topmost share for the 21 consecutive years since the start of the survey. Also, in the breakdown of embedded OS usage in different application fields, TRON RTOS family occupies the topmost share in the IoT-related devices.
This survey has been held as annual measurements for 21 times so far at the venue of Embedded Technology (ET, organized by Japan Embedded Systems Technology Association: JASA) and its predecessor. The latest FY2016 Survey Report summarizes the result of the questionnaire answered by the respondents through the special website for this survey and the visitors to ET2016 (Embedded Technology 2016) which was held in PACIFICO YOKOHAMA from November 16 to 18, 2016.
TRON Forum publishes the whole content of the survey result on the members-only web pages for Executive Committee/A-/i-/B-/Academic members. If corporations and e-/O-members need the survey result, “Limited to a division-only readership version (100,000 yen excluding tax)” and “Company-wide readership version (200,000 yen excluding tax)” will be on sale through the web shop ( http://www.personal-media.co.jp/webshop/ ) operated by Personal Media Corporation, one of the Executive Committee members of TRON Forum, from the middle of April.
Overview of FY2016 Survey Report on Embedded Real-time OS Usage Trends
1. Survey details
- Date: November 16 – 18, 2016
- Venue: Embedded Technology 2016 in PACIFICO YOKOHAMA
- Survey method: Paper-based questionnaire at the venue or entry through the special website for the survey
- The number of the respondents: 356 (232 people with valid answers)
2. API of embedded OS (excluding non-use of OS, in 2016）
- Approximately 60 percent or more of the share is held by ITRON specification API and T-Kernel specification API.
3. API of embedded OS in different application fields
- IoT-related devices are the major portion of recently developed embedded systems, and TRON RTOS family is the most often used OSs among such devices.